Beautiful extremely well sculptured running deer with his antlers back marked Geschutzt on the underside. The deer has much of its original cold paint patina intact. The sculptor of this deer did an amazing job it actually looks alive and in motion. Its mouth is open with its tongue hanging out. The eyes are very well painted and the surface of the deer looks like real fur. It measures from its right front hoof to its back leg more than 4 inches. Height to the top of its antlers 3 inches. Width from antler to antler across the top 1-1/4 inches. It is in excellent condition guaranteed to please the most particular Vienna bronze collector or connoisseur. This Vienna bronze was collected by Dr. Robert L. Schaeffer, Jr. who was known primarily for his impressive Pennsylvania German folk art collection of textiles, ceramics, metal ware ad works on paper, largely acquired in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. A resident of Allentown, Pennsylvania, Dr. Schaeffer wanted his collection of Pennsylvania German folk art to return to its area of origin. In 1987 he generously gave his entire collection of art and artifacts to Franklin & Marshall College. Items from this collection are now an integral part of the permanent collection of the Phillips Museum of Art at the college. At the time of his death in 2001, Dr. Schaeffer was professor emeritus of botany at Muhlenberg College in Allentown. A graduate of Haverford College, Dr. Schaeffer earned a Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania and had taught botany at Muhlenberg for almost 30 years. He had many family connections with Franklin & Marshall College. Dr. Schaeffer was the son of Robert L. Schaeffer Sr. , who graduated from Franklin & Marshall in 1904 and later served as the president of its Board of Trustees from 1935 to 1941. He is also the uncle of Dr. Charles D. Schaeffer, class of 1970. In addition to the important body of Pennsylvania folk art, Dr. Schaeffer's collection included over 2000 painted Vienna bronze figures imported from Europe. The items offered here were deacessioned from the collection, and the proceeds from their sale will be placed in the new Schaeffer Endowment Fund to be used solely to acquire new works for the Phillips Museum's permanent collection.